Sunday, July 1, 2012

Buyer's Remorse

So, you know that awesome table I got at Goodwill the other day?  Yeah, the one that I was raving about that I just could not live without?

Yup, that's the one!
Well...as many of you crafters/thrifty people know out there, sometimes, your inner designer/crafter has a knock down drag out fight with your inner thrifter and my inner designer is evidently an accomplished UFC fighter.  You see, I had this vision....muah ha ha....my husband cringes when I utter those words.  I had a vision of an indoor 24/7, 365 day a year picnic.  A vision of whitewashed wood, billowing hydrangea, and sparkly pitchers of lemonade with slices of lemon peeking through.  Doesn't that sound awesome?  I thought so too...  plus, I am soooo not a formal dining room type of gal.  I come from Florida where I ran barefoot through the cool summer grass and sun warmed sand.  I wanted a constant reminder of this for when the cold Indiana winter is staring me back in the face...

Not Picnic Weather

My husband will tell you that once I have a craft idea/design idea pop into my head, I become a woman possessed.  I simply cannot rest until I have finished.  My idea is to have glam up a traditional picnic table and make it my dining room table!


On a side note, I am having to finish this post in the basement since a strong line of storms is moving through....those of you that know me know that I am just LOVING this.

This is what my "Help Me" face looks like

So, I set to Craigslist to see what I could find.  After searching awhile, I came across a few people that said they would build me a custom picnic table.  Hmmmmm....this sounds even more fun!  So I sent out a few emails to see what it would cost and if they could build me a custom one with detachable benches.  A couple of days past and no response from anyone and so, I decided in typical me fashion, I will build my own picnic table (because I secretly think that I am a superhero in my own mind, capable of leaping any craft project in a single bound)!  Much to my husband's dismay, I set about trying to find some blueprints (because I have read blueprints before.....ummmm...no). 

Thankfully, that is when I had my little escapade to Goodwill for the other table that you can read about HERE.  So, that table did have a purpose for a small time and saved me from possibly putting a nail through my hand or worse, sawing an appendage off (because I secretly am not a superhero and have never done woodwork in my life).

Then, as I am home that evening, still buzzing from getting my Goodwill table, I check my email and find a response from a fellow going by the initials of J.C. (Yes, folks....a woodworker/carpenter with the initials of J.C.).  Trust me, the irony and metaphorical weight of this did not escape me. His email had an enthusiasm that came through that I could not deny.  He was excited to build me this table and had already set out to buy the materials.  It was simply meant to be. 

So, this brings me to this Sunday morning.  At a little before 9 am.....J.C. himself and his brother came rolling up with my beautiful new picnic table and detachable benches.  Here she is!



 I am not done with her yet though.  This is just a sneak peak of my dining room before.  Tune in soon for a look of the after!  Thanks J.C.!



2 comments:

  1. You crack me up! I can't wait to see what you do with it. I know it will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I do not believe I have an inner designer...or at least not one with any kind of cohesive vision of anything.

    ReplyDelete